General Insurance OmbudService (GIO)
Privacy and Confidentiality Statement
The General Insurance OmbudService (GIO) is committed to respecting the personal privacy of each individual who uses our service.
The GIO may use information for the purposes of statistical reporting. When information is collected for statistical reporting, it will not identify the individual or any information specific to an individual.
All those acting on behalf of the GIO must comply with this privacy statement.
- With your consent, we collect, use and disclose personal information from you, your financial institution and others to facilitate the resolution of your complaint.
- The types of personal information collected, used and disclosed will depend on the nature of your complaint, but may include your:
- telephone number;
- age and date of birth;
- gender; family and marital status;
- medical and health information;
- income and credit rating;
- payment records;
- previous insurance records and claims experience;
- and driving record.
- The initial collection of your personal information in GIO’s complaint resolution process is made at the point of contact by representatives of the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC), on behalf of the GIO. GIO may out source this service to another organization from time to time. Any organization that provides services on GIO’s behalf is strictly bound by GIO’s Privacy and Confidentiality Statement.
- Pursuant to the above, IBC provides customer information officers to deal with GIO’s complaint resolution process. GIO ensures that in the complaint resolution process, IBC is bound to keep personal information private and release in accordance with GIO’s Privacy and Confidentiality Statement.
- Proper documentation and compliance with GIO complaint protocol must be followed before the mediator can have access to your personal information.
- All personal information provided to the GIO is protected by the ten principles of the CSA approved Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information and other relevant legislation where applicable. (This means that, at the point of collection, you will be informed that your personal information is being collected, the purpose for which it is being collected and that you have a right of access to the information and/or the right to deny the release of the information.):
- Accountability – the GIO is responsible for information under its control and shall designate an individual who is accountable for the GIO’s compliance with the principles of this privacy statement.
- Identifying Purposes – the purpose of collecting information shall be identified to the consumer by the GIO at or before the time information is collected.
- Consent – the knowledge and consent of the consumer are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information.
- Limiting Collection – the collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the GIO. Information shall be collected by a fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention – personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the consumer or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy – personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards – personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information; methods of protection will include – physical measures, organizational measures and technological measures.
- Openness – the GIO shall make readily available to consumers specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of the personal information it collects.
- Customer Access – upon request, a consumer shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of their personal information and shall be given access to that information. A consumer shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information held by the GIO and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance – a consumer shall be able to challenge compliance with the above principles to the GIO General Manager at:
General Insurance OmbudService
55 St. Clair Avenue West, Suite 255
Toronto, Ontario M4V 2Y7